In many cases, you can choose to file your tax return voluntarily. This is beneficial when you expect a tax refund. However, there are some cases where you are legally obliged to submit your tax return:

  • You belong to tax class III, IV with income ratio procedure (‘Faktorverfahren’), V, or VI

  • You have received wage replacement benefits of more than 410 euros

  • You have received more than 410 euros in supplementary income

  • You have tax free allowances on your annual payslip

  • You have a loss carryforward from the previous year

  • You run a business, work as a freelancer, or are self-employed

Did this answer your question?