If you have moved from abroad to Germany or from Germany to abroad for a new job, you can deduct your moving costs from your taxes. We explain which rules apply and how you can enter the costs in the Taxfix app.
Moving from abroad to Germany
Moving for a new job
If you moved to Germany for work-related reasons, you can claim the moving costs as income-related expenses (Werbungskosten). They reduce the income that you have to pay tax on in Germany. This applies to moves from abroad to Germany as well as to moves within Germany.
💡 This is how it works:
- The Taxfix app makes it easy for you to claim your moving costs automatically when you declare your change of residence. The app only takes into account costs that are deductible
- This article explains which costs you can claim for a job-related move
The situation is different, however, if your move from abroad to Germany was for private reasons. In this case, you cannot claim any moving expenses.
Moving from Germany to abroad
Moving for a new job
If you move your residence abroad because of a new job, you can also claim the moving costs.
🚨 But be careful:
You can only deduct the costs in connection with your foreign, non-German income. Although this income is tax-free in Germany, it increases your tax rate and is therefore relevant for German income tax.
Your work-related costs for moving abroad therefore reduce your foreign income, but not your German income.
Our app does not ask for these costs separately. However, you can take them into account yourself with a simple calculation.
💡 Here's how:
- Simply reduce your non-German income by the amount of the relocation costs
- Example: You received a salary of 20,000 euros abroad. Your moving costs were 5,000 euros. This reduces your salary to 15,000 euros
- In the Taxfix app, you enter the reduced value when asked about the amount of your non-German salary that you received abroad
Please remember that the tax office may ask you to prove your income and costs. Have invoices and other proof ready for this.
If you move abroad for private reasons, the costs that you can deduct are clearly limited. Only expenses for household-related services or craftsmen incurred within Germany in connection with the move are eligible. For example, if you have hired a moving company to help you pack and load your household goods and furniture, you can deduct part of the costs.